Friday, October 9

races

There's a long history of running in my family, it's more specifically my grandpa's history. He's always been active and since I was a little girl he's been running to stay that way. He's always competing in a 5K here or there and has recently (in the last 1o years or so) also began competing in Triathlons. And yes, he has completed (and placed 1st in his age group) an Iron Man competition.

So naturally I called my grandpa when it was time to run my first 5K, according to my training schedule. I headed down to McRae early one Saturday morning to compete in the Lumber City Farm Day 5K Race with Papa. However, I was 5 - 10 minutes late - it started at 7:45 AM people - and missed the race. I was pretty upset. a) I had just missed my first run and might possibly get off track in my training schedule and b) I was completely disappointed that I had missed my chance to run with my grandpa.

However, the story doesn't end there. There were actually two races that day!! Lucky me! So we headed to Vidalia, Georgia that evening to have our granddaddy/granddaughter race.

here we are - before the race


coming toward to finish


my time: 33:?0 - thanks dude with the big head

We finished the race in 33 minutes and some odd seconds. It was a ton of fun running with Papa. And just a great experience in general. Most all the runners down there know one another so I had lots of people cheering me on as I was running and as I crossed the finish line. The most important, my grandpa!

As award time came around, we weren't shocked to learn that Papa had placed 1st in his age group. (He typically does)


However, we/I were floored to find out that I placed 3rd in mine! :) Like grandfather like granddaughter I guess. haha! :)


papa's running buddies (and me)

It was a great weekend home! Thanks again, Papa!!!!

the family

2 comments:

Jared and Katy said...

That's awesome Amy...way to go!

Amy Marsh said...

Thanks Katy! I really enjoyed myself. :)