Monday, January 16

the Difference a Year Can Make

A year ago today (the 16th), I was in a hospital room waiting to be induced and contemplating (sometimes nervously) the coming days, months, years with a little person that would soon be in my life. And 22 hours later, a tiny little girl stole my heart forever! Now my little one is turning 1 tomorrow! This has been the most precious, difficult, sweet and rewarding year of my life. I brought a life into this world (well my doctors did via c-section) and I have had the amazing opportunity to get to know her and watch her grow. She's fantastic! I miss each stage that passes and yet am so excited to embrace a new one with new challenges and more opportunities to get to know my sweet girl!
In one year, Lyda learned to nurse (not as easy as I thought it would be), smile, laugh, sleep through the night (yay!), drink out of a glass and a sippy cup (in that order), dance, babble, take LONG baths, sit up, crawl, climb the stairs (both going up and coming down), walk, say Ma Ma, Da Da, Thank You, Doggie, Hi or Hey and Gie Gie (aka maggie), eat solid foods, feed herself, play peek-a-boo and throw the ball for Maggie (even if it only goes 4 inches). She's a sweet girl with a lot of love to give. My favorite thing she learned this year was to give Mommy kisses. They are the best!
During the past year, I learned that I had no idea how much I could love someone, how to change multiple diapers, how to nurse a baby, how to function with only a few hours of sleep, that one can watch an infant for hours and never get bored, that there are not enough hours in a day, that stay-at-home moms don't just work out and paint their finger nails, that getting showered and dressed each day is a luxury, to organize more effectively, that it takes twice as long to do everything, to be patient (although I have not mastered this one yet), that I love to cuddle and kiss cute cheeks and that having the opportunity to be a mother is the greatest gift on this earth. And I'm loving each and every second!
photo by Erin Bunderson
I'm looking forward to our next year together. Happy Birthday to my Lyda Dot!

2 comments:

Laurie M said...

She is a special little girl and she is lucky to have you and Nathan as parents. I couldn't have asked for better parents for my beautiful little grand daughter. Luv you all!!

Cam and Chelle said...

Love this post! Happy Birthday Lyda! Y'all are both adorable!