Now that the cat is out of the bag...I'm in desperate need of some help. I have NO idea where to start with baby stuff. The internet overwhelms me constantly with thousands of products that say they are the best. But let's be honest. That can't possibly be true. Otherwise, they would only sale one of every item needed for a baby.
So experienced mothers, I need your help. What's the best out there? What are you experiences with strollers, car seats, diaper creams, pack-n-plays, bottles, monitors, etc, etc, etc. I also want to know your experience (if you have any) with buying on Craiglist. What did you buy there, what would you recommend I buy brand-new, etc. I'm always trying to save money so if you have tips, PLEASE pass them along.
I do have a few ideas of what I think I'd like. I bought the BreastFlow bottles the other day.

I've had a couple of friends use them and love them. Since I'd like to try breastfeeding, I thought these would be good. Please let me know your thoughts. Also, I'm thinking of cloth diapers. I've read several reviews and blogs but don't know which brand would be best. Mrs. Burns recommends bumGenius.

Thoughts? Unfortunately, that's as far as I've gotten. :(
6 comments:
i'm calling you now!
okay, here is my two cents... bottles, I used playtex drop in's because there were no air bubbles, less burps and therefore less fits. As far as stroller, I did the Graco all in one deal with base, carseat, stroller - they all snap in and are convenient for the first (this is the cheaper option). As baby gets older, umbrella stroller all the way with a sunshade and basket. I like combi or Mclaren. Pack n play is not necessary unless you travel often...if you do buy one, you can def. buy that on craigslist...of course to be cleaned, I personally don't think any particular brand matters on this one. Lets see, high chair, not necessary till baby is at least 6 mo old, so you can wait to purchase. Buy a good crib, we are still using ours on #3! Oh, Buy a great glider, don't go cheap here...it will save your life with late night feedings and your own comfort! I say try anything on craigslist if it is in good shape...car seats are the only iffy thing cause of all the spit up...my kids didn't really have that issue so mine are good. Onsies onsies onsies - have a lot of them for the newborn. I had a boppy and loved it with my first - it is good for nursing and a good resting place for baby...I never used it with #2 though. Oh, and do not forget the snugli (cheaper version of other baby carriers). It is a baby carrier, and is great. It saved my life with my kids. List goes on and on..... when are you due?
Hi Ruth! Thanks for commenting! I'm due Jan. 14. We're all very excited! As you can imagine. The Marshes are finally getting a grandchild. :)
I used the playtex drop ins too. I nursed Kate and Abby and it's the only bottle I could get them to take but I had to use the latex nipples which I can only find at babies r us (you have to buy them seperate from the bottle).
I am obsessed with my video monitor, seriously obsessed.
I bought a bunch of things off craigslist: Bjorn, bouncer, leap frog musical table, one monitor...
I love the swaddle blankets that velcro close, they're so quick and easy to do and both my babies slept better at night swaddled until about 3 months.
Lansinoh nursing cream. Pamper swaddler diapers. Aveno baby cream wash (I like this better than Johnson). Kate really needed Mylicon drops but Abby's never needed them.
That's all I can think of that I really needed (pack-n-play)
I'm sooo excited for you guys!!!
My major MUST have---is the Bjorn. I like the Bjorn brand the best. It's saved my life a million and one times.
I use playtex drop ins too, when I supplement. Mylicon drops are great too.
I use Huggies brand diapers and wipes.
You guys will be GREAT parents! Congratulations! :)
We have used Bumgenius since CL was 2months old and really like them. We still use disposables here and there but for cloth they seem to be the best. We tried a few kinds.
As for other things, oh my. I bought our nursery furniture on craigslist (crib, changing table and mattress for less than $500--all a really good brand and in awesome condition) I would recommend new: packnplay, baby bjorn. We used Dr Brown's but I don't like them for all the parts. FreeBorn are good.I don't like the whole travel stroller system thing so we bought a frame stroller for our infant carrier car seat (which was a baby trend flex loc love it) and then we moved her to a Maclaren Triumph stroller at 4-5months and a Britax Marathon car seat at 5 months. Highchair, definitely recommend a little one that sits on a chair (space saver by fisher price). Didn't use the boppy much at all. She loved loved loved the swing (was a handmedown). MUST-glider, recliner, something comfy with a footrest. OH and you cannot use diaper creams or powders with the BUMGENIUS. And you have to use 7th generation detergent.
I don't like the moby wrap thingees, I liked the Bjorn. monitors, I can see the place for a video one but our $70 sony set from Target work just fine. Other items, humidifier, fan (or something to make white noise), CD player (for music), books. A good diaper bag that you like. We have the Skip Hop Dash which is fine but I don't love it. OH a good bath tub I like the First Years thing at Target that has a sling in it. And a Munchkin water temp duck. I also love the aveeno baby products. aquaphor for chapped skin. Invest in a good crib, stroller and carseat. those you can hopefully use for another kid (or kids). and I really liked my nursing camis from target along with my medela nursing pads. Ask Janie, she has my list! Good luck!! Such an exciting time!
Post a Comment