This weekend has been very trying. Laurie, my mother-in-law, found out Thursday at (what she thought was) a routine doctor's appointment that she needed open-heart surgery, immediately. She had a large mass/tumor growing in her heart. It was taking up almost the entire left atrium of her heart! So to the hospital we went. Ryan and Tyson flew into Atlanta at 5 am Friday morning and we waited for her to come out of surgery most of the day. Around 4 pm, the surgeon, Dr. Wolfe, showed us the mass/tumor he removed from Laurie's heart. (yuck!!) It was about the size of a golf ball, give or take. She's recovering slowly but surely now.
We are so so grateful that her family physician was concerned enough about the description of her heart palpatations and breathing, that he sent her to a cardiologist that called in a specialist to diagnosis the problem quickly, that her company decided to extend the insurance coverage for their employees an extra month before terminating it and that the best surgeon at St. Joseph's was available to perform the surgery. It has been a very scary, rushed experience but we are so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ to pull us through such an experience.
7 comments:
Wow. What a scary ordeal. So glad that things turned out well! You guys, and Nathan's mom, are in our prayers!
Oh my goodness. I'm so glad everything is okay.
Oh I am so glad that everything is ok.
WOAH! That is a bit crazy..i'm glad everything is going well...your family is in my prayers!
Amy- it's so good to hear from you!
I couldn't believe this about Laurie. I'm so, so glad the doctors found it and she pulled through. She's lucky to have all of you- everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope all is well with you and Nathan! I hear you have a bday coming up soon... yay! :) Things are great with me- staying busy with work and everything. Say hi to everyone for me! I'd love to hear how things are with you, too.
Wow, Amy I hope your mom-in-law is doing better. I worked at St Joe's for SEVERAL years and Dr Wolfe is one of the best cardiothoracic surgeons I know in the area so she's lucky to have gotten him on such short notice! Glad everything seems to be going well, here's to continued recovery.
Life truly is short and a test. Laurie is a great person, and I hope that she fully recovers. Nothing worse than a mother possibly being taken away...we put her name on az temple!
Post a Comment